During the online conference, we will use Zoom for all conference sessions and meetings. For the best conference experience, please download Zoom Client for Meetings onto your laptop or desktop via https://zoom.us/download (note that the Web-browser or App version does not offer all functionalities, e.g., regarding the use of breakout rooms).
The program with all the conference sessions and the Zoom links can be found on http://ciees.eu/conference-programme/. Use the Zoom links with your Zoom account to join the meetings about 5 minutes before the start of the session (10 minutes for presenters and the session chair). Our recommendation is to turn on your webcam by default to engage more with other participants and to contribute to a more lively conference experience. When presenting or asking questions, we definitely ask you to turn on your webcam.
Initial Zoom setup
Please install Zoom Client for Meetings in advance (https://zoom.us/download). We recommend that you try your microphone and webcam before joining the session (https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362283-Testing-computer-or-device-audio; https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362313-How-Do-I-Test-My-Video-).
You are encouraged to take part in the test session in order to get familiar with the Zoom platform. The test session will present the Zoom platform and the usage scenarios. This option lets you test your audio, video, screen sharing, and chat.
How to join a session
- View the Programme page and find the session you are interested in. You will be provided with the required credentials before the conference starts.
- Click the “Go to Virtual Room” buttons in the conference programme to join the meeting.
- If you are joining the Session before the host has started the meeting, please wait in the lobby until the host starts the Session.
The conferencing online can be exhausting! We need to take breaks. We will take breaks. Breaks are built-in to the schedule!
- Stand up and stretch, get a snack, come back refreshed!
- If you leave Zoom on, make sure that your microphone is muted during the break.
In case you have any further questions, you can also contact us at email@example.com.
Information for participants
We are happy to welcome you as a participant at the CIEES 2021 hybrid conference! Besides the participants, every session is composed of presenters, a Session Chair, and a technical moderator (Host).
- Host: This person facilitates the use of the technology and could be the same person as the Session Chair in some sessions. (NAME: Host * or Chair *).
- Session Chair: This person is present to coordinate the session and manage Q&A. (NAME: Chair *).
Basic session structure:
- 10 minutes before the Session: The host will start the designated Zoom meeting.
- 2 minutes before the Session: The host will start the recording.
- 1 minute before the Session: The Session Chair introduces the session.
- Beginning of the Session: At the beginning of the session, the Session Chair will welcome you and introduce the first presenter. The talk will be presented using the video recording submitted by the presenter.
- Maximum time limit for presentation and Q&A: 15 minutes.
The Session Chair will mute your microphone during the entire session. In the discussion after the presentation, he/she can unmute participants. This discussion will be moderated by the Session Chair:
- During the presentations, all participants will be muted but can submit questions through the chat. Questions submitted in that form will be asked by the Session Chair following a FIFO policy.
- The Session Chair will have the ability to unmute participants to elaborate on their questions.
- Besides the questions posed during the presentation in the chat, participants can also use the ‘raise hand’ option provided in zoom and be unmuted by the Session Chair to start the discussion.
- When asking a question, please turn on your webcam.
How to ask questions
- Option 1: Chat
You can join the discussion with other attendees by sending messages to “Everyone” or you can chat privately with the Session Chair by selecting their name from the drop down list. Learn more about https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/203650445-Using-in-meeting-chat.
- Option 2: Q&A Session
Following the video presentation there is a short Q&A session. At the end of the talk, the Session Chair will select and ask the presenter to answer some of the questions in sequence they were submitted and within the allotted Q&A period and will try to cover as many questions as possible depending on the allotted time.
- Option 3: Raise hand
Following the presentation and once all questions placed during the presentation have been answered, you can raise your hand to ask the presenter a question through the microphone. The Session Chair will indicate your turn and unmute you.
3.1. Click the ‘Participants’ button from the meeting controls at the bottom of the screen. This brings up several options to choose from to provide nonverbal feedback.
Please check the following link for more information on the controls that you have available as attendee (e.g., applause, chat with other participants, etc.): https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/200941109-Attendee-controls-in-a-meeting
Information for presenters
We are happy to welcome you as a presenter at the CIEES 2021 hybrid conference! Next to the presenters, every session has a Session Chair and a technical moderator (Host). The Session Chair’s task is to introduce you (briefly; mainly your name, institute/university and country), to lead the discussions, to give turns, keep an eye on the chat and he/she is responsible for timekeeping. So, you can concentrate on the content and on answering questions. Regarding the webcam, make sure you enabled it upon entry, during your presentation, and when you are answering questions; during the presentations of others, you can disable it.
Before the session
Ultimately 15 minutes before the session, the technical moderator will start the designated Zoom meeting. As a presenter, you need to join the session 10 minutes before the scheduled start (this also holds for the Session Chair). Participants start joining the meeting from 5 minutes before the session onwards.
During the session
At the beginning of the session, the Session Chair will welcome you and introduce the first presenter. The talk will be presented using the video recording submitted by the presenter. Maximum time limit for presentation and Q&A: 15 minutes.
After each presentation, we will have a live discussion moderated by the Session Chair:
During the presentations, all participants will be muted but can submit questions through the chat. Questions submitted in that form will be asked by the session chair following a FIFO policy.
The Session Chair will have the ability to unmute participants to elaborate on their questions.
Besides the questions posed during the presentation in the chat, participants can also use the ‘raise hand’ option provided in zoom and be unmuted by the session chair to start the discussion.
Information for session chairs
The Session Chairs will be assisted by a technical moderator, who takes care of the technical issues. The technical moderator is the Host of the Zoom session. Also, the technical moderator will admit participants, keep an eye on the chat, admit any latecomers, and will help participants with connection problems. Your role as a Session Chair is the following. Regarding the webcam, make sure you enabled it before, between, and after the presentations.
Before the session
- Check who are the speakers of your session. This information is available in the schedule provided on http://ciees.eu/programme-2021/.
- Please make sure to have the information of each paper to introduce them timely before each presentation.
- Ultimately 15 minutes before the session, the technical moderator will start the designated Zoom meeting.
- As Session Chair, you need to join the session 10 minutes before the scheduled start (this also holds for the presenters). The host will make you a co-host.
- When starting the session we recommend you to turn on your video to engage the attendees during the session introduction.
- Participants start joining the meeting before the session onwards.
During the session
- When introducing the session, explain to the participants that they can ask questions during the presentation in the chat but also live during the discussion after the presentation. For asking questions live after a presentation, they have to raise their hand as all will be muted by default. Indicate that we will follow a FIFO policy, so questions asked during the presentation will follow that order and have priority over ‘raising’ hands.
- Introduce the speakers (very briefly, just name, the institute/university and country is sufficient)
- You can manage the attendee by clicking on the “View all attendees” link under the participants’ panel.
Responsibilities of the session chair in the discussion
- As organizers, we would like to ensure a smooth and productive virtual conference.
- During the presentation, please keep track of the questions on the chat panel.
- After the presentation, unmute yourself and indicate that the round of questions starts. If there are not many questions, feel free to ask some of your own.
- Please be mindful of the Q&A time limit. We cannot introduce delays in one talk as it will push others behind.
- After a question has been addressed, please indicate it is answered and continue with the next.
- Please collect the unanswered questions, to later provide them to the author.
When the session is scheduled to end, please announce that it is time to wrap up the session. Thank everyone for his or her contribution as a presenter or attendee.